Skip to page navigation Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

This is a BETA site. It's an early, in-progress version of an improved If you don't find what you're looking for, return to the main

COVID-19 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Learn more >

File a Complaint

The Americans with Disabilities Act provides an important tool to fight discrimination: filing a complaint with an appropriate federal agency. This page outlines the steps to get you started.

Who You Can File a Complaint Against

If you believe that you or someone else was discriminated against based on a disability, you can file an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint against:

  • a state government or local government, such as:
    • public hospitals
    • public schools
    • other state or local government programs
  • a private business that serves the public, such as a:
    • restaurant
    • doctor’s office
    • retail store
    • hotel

Where to File Your Complaint

The nature of your complaint determines where you should file it. The table below tells you where to file your complaint.

Type of Complaint Where to File Online
Employment (including issues at work or in applying for a job) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Air travel (airlines) Department of Transportation
Other Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division

Note that if you are filing with the Department of Justice, you may also file:

  • By mail by sending the completed ADA complaint form, or a letter containing the same information, to:

U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW 4CON, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20530

  • By faxing the completed ADA complaint form, or a letter containing the same information, to: (202) 307-1197

Whichever method you use, remember to keep a copy of your complaint and the original documents for your own records.

If you’d like more information, our answers to common questions is a good place to look.